The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 1 (OU)
- Which groups that invaded Britain are mentioned here, where did they come from and approx. when did they arrive?
- What is the difference between the type of words in English that come from Latin and those from Anglo-Saxon?
- About when did Christianity arrive in Britain?
- What type of words did the advent of Christianity bring into English?
- What type of words came from the Vikings?
- When the lecturer says that the Vikings were “into give and take” in terms of language, what does he mean? (tip: loan words)
The Vikings introduced many words into English. How many English words can you think of which are used in Norwegian today?
CC BY-SAWritten by: Knut Inge Skifjeld and Eli Huseby.
Last revised date 06/15/2018