The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 7 (OU)
- What is a lexicographer?
- Who was one of the first compilers of a dictionary and how many years did it take him to finish it?
- How many entries did it have?
- What was standardised in the dictionaries? Why was that necessary?
- Which modern dictionary is mentioned and when did it first appear?
- How many entries do you think the Oxford English Dictionary has today?
Do you know what the following words mean?
- What makes it necessary to continually revise dictionaries?
Suggested Further Reading
CC BY-SAWritten by: Knut Inge Skifjeld and Eli Huseby.
Last revised date 06/15/2018