This interview will give you an idea about what it is like to work as a chef in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: by default; from scratch; flair; palate; under pressure; catering; like-minded; cover; produce (noun); haven’t got a clue; the noughties is a term for the time period, 2000 to 2010.
Listen to the following interview with a chef in the UK and find out:
- Where he works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK he works.
- Why he chose this profession.
- What type of tasks he has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities he suggests are needed by a chef.
- Does he describe any work processes or services that he provides?
- What he likes best and least about his job.
- How he thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where he sees himself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- Jonathan disagrees with the chef about the shrimp cocktail and suggests something else.
- The chef agrees that they should make Crème Brulé, but they don't have all the ingredients. Jonathan has to get them.
- The chef tells Jonathan that for dessert they should use local seasonal produce. Jonathan suggests something.