This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as an electrician in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: further afield; this job is top of the pile in the trade; aptitude; repetitive; refurbish; liaising; give and take; socket; switch; scenario; wireless; Velcro
Listen to the following interview with an electrician in the UK and find out:
- Where he works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK he works.
- Why he chose this profession.
- What type of tasks he has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities he suggests are needed by an electrician.
- Does he describe any work processes or services that he provides?
- What he likes best and least about his job.
- How he thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where he sees himself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- The boss says that Joe hasn’t turned up for work. Harry is asked to suggest someone else to help him.
- There are not enough switches. Harry is told to go to the electrical supplier to get some more.
- Harry has to work on the outside of the building. He complains to his boss that it will be too cold.
- Harry is given the job of checking out a problem with a power failure in a residential area. It is urgent.