Are you thinking of becoming a pharmacy technician when you are finished at school? Would you consider working abroad in an English-speaking country after your apprenticeship is completed? If so, the interview below will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a pharmacy technician in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: pharmaceutical; counter (in a shop); prescription; dispense; stock; blister pack; accuracy; tablet
Listen to the following interview with a pharmacy technician in the UK and find out:
- Where she works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK she works.
- Why she chose this profession.
- What type of tasks she has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities she suggests are needed by a pharmacy technician.
- Does she describe any work processes or services that she provides?
- What she likes best and least about her job.
- How she thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where she sees herself in 5 - 10 years' time.
Apprenticeship and Training
- Find out about becoming a pharmacy technician in the UK. Make a table with 3 columns: What does the job involve, the salary, and the qualifications and training required. Below, you will find some useful links.
- Now compare a pharmacy technician's job and education in the UK with a pharmacy technician's job and education in Norway. Utdanning - Yrkesbeskrivelse
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- Mrs. Smith’s prescription has not come through yet from the doctor. The pharmacy technician suggests some reasons why it might be delayed. Mrs Smith is offered a seat where she can wait.
- The prescription is for a blister pack and will take five minutes to make up.
- Mrs. Smith wants to buy the painkillers without a prescription and is told that she has to go to her doctor first.
Building and Construction Tools - ResourcesKjernestoff
Tools and MachinesKjernestoff
Colours and What They MeanKjernestoff
Finding Your Personal ColoursKjernestoff
The History of DrawingKjernestoff
Being a ButlerKjernestoff
Multicultural Cooking in the UKKjernestoff
An English BreakfastKjernestoff
Fish and ChipsKjernestoff
In a UK RestaurantKjernestoff
British Food - Regional SpecialitiesKjernestoff
Spices and HerbsKjernestoff
Micro-Organisms and InfectionKjernestoff
Health Issue: ObesityKjernestoff
Our Amazing Defence SystemKjernestoff
Owner's Manual, Marin Mountain BikesKjernestoff
Crude Oil - UpstreamKjernestoff
Crude Oil - DownstreamKjernestoff
Electric, Electrical or Electronic?Kjernestoff
Marking and Measuring ToolsKjernestoff
Power to the PeopleKjernestoff
Transmission of PowerKjernestoff
A Carpenter in the UKKjernestoff
Heavy Construction EquipmentKjernestoff
Tools and Machines - ResourcesKjernestoff
Turning a Centre Punch in the LatheKjernestoff
Actor in the UKKjernestoff
Art - Further WorkKjernestoff
Beautician in the UKKjernestoff
Graphic Designer in the UKKjernestoff
A Hairdresser in the UKKjernestoff
A Live Sound Engineer in the UKKjernestoff
Musician in the UKKjernestoff
A Photographer in the UKKjernestoff
Video Producer in the UKKjernestoff
At the Restaurant (dialogue)Kjernestoff
Chef in the UKKjernestoff
Cottage Pie with a TwistKjernestoff
Hard Rock Cafe InterviewKjernestoff
Meet a ConciergeKjernestoff
Working at a Hostel - InterviewKjernestoff
Waiter in the UKKjernestoff
Childminder in the UKKjernestoff
Health Care Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
Talking About DisabilitiesKjernestoff
The Human BodyKjernestoff
The Muscular SystemKjernestoff
A Baker in the UKKjernestoff
A Confectioner in the UKKjernestoff
A Sales Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
Working as a Flight AttendantKjernestoff
A Railway AccidentKjernestoff
Career Related TasksKjernestoff
Car Mechanic in the UKKjernestoff
Dialogue - Car RentalKjernestoff
CNC Operator in the UKKjernestoff
Electrician in the UKKjernestoff
Hand Tools, Drag and DropKjernestoff
Marking and Measuring Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff
Various Tools - TasksKjernestoff
Electrician's Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff
HSE in Agriculture and Related IndustriesKjernestoff
An ICT Technician in the UKKjernestoff
Laboratory Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
A Plumber in the UKKjernestoff
Carpenter's Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff