This interview will give you an idea about what it is like to work as a waitress in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words and expressions: folding napkins; cutlery; quick succession; customer; organisational skills; cheery personality
Listen to the following interview with a waitress in the UK and find out:
- Where she works (type of company - large/small, etc).
- Where about in the UK she works.
- Why she chose this profession.
- What type of tasks she has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities she suggests are needed by a waiter.
- Does she describe any work processes or services that she provides?
- What she likes best and least about her job.
- How she thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where she sees herself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- The guests have not made a reservation.
- The waitress has to explain to the guests that they are busy in the kitchen, and that they may have to wait a while for their dinner.
- The guests ask the waitress to recommend a wine from the wine list.
- The guests complain that the window is draughty, and want another table.
- One of the guests is allergic to spinach, and wants to replace the vegetable with something else.