Would you consider working abroad in an English-speaking country after your apprenticeship as a hairdresser is completed? If so, the interview below will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a hairdresser in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: manic, appointment, client, consultation, confident, event, occasion, variety, blow dry, chart
Listen to the following interview with a hairdresser in the UK and find out:
- Where she works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK she works.
- Why she chose this profession.
- What type of tasks she has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities she suggests are needed by a hairdresser.
- Does she describe any work processes or services that she provides?
- What she likes best and least about her job.
- How she thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where she sees herself in 5 - 10 years' time.
Apprenticeship and Training
- Find out about becoming a hairdresser in the UK. Make a table with 3 columns: What does the job involve, the salary and the qualifications and training required. Below, you will find some useful links.
- Now compare a hairdresser's job and education in the UK with a hairdresser's job and education in Norway. Utdanning - Yrkesbeskrivelse
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- The customer rejects the hairdresser 's suggestions and asks for the opposite treatment.
- The telephone rings, the hairdresser excuses herself/himself to answer it.
- The customer is male not female.
- The hairdresser sees that the customer has dandruff and suggests a treatment.
- After the customer has had her hair cut etc. ask if she would like blow drying, hairspray, etc.
- The customer is going to pay, tell her how much it cost and ask if she would like any hair products, such as conditioner, shampoo, hairspray, styling foam, etc.
Building and Construction Tools - ResourcesKjernestoff
Tools and MachinesKjernestoff
Colours and What They MeanKjernestoff
Finding Your Personal ColoursKjernestoff
The History of DrawingKjernestoff
Being a ButlerKjernestoff
Multicultural Cooking in the UKKjernestoff
An English BreakfastKjernestoff
Fish and ChipsKjernestoff
In a UK RestaurantKjernestoff
British Food - Regional SpecialitiesKjernestoff
Spices and HerbsKjernestoff
Micro-Organisms and InfectionKjernestoff
Health Issue: ObesityKjernestoff
Our Amazing Defence SystemKjernestoff
Owner's Manual, Marin Mountain BikesKjernestoff
Crude Oil - UpstreamKjernestoff
Crude Oil - DownstreamKjernestoff
Electric, Electrical or Electronic?Kjernestoff
Marking and Measuring ToolsKjernestoff
Power to the PeopleKjernestoff
Transmission of PowerKjernestoff
A Carpenter in the UKKjernestoff
Heavy Construction EquipmentKjernestoff
Tools and Machines - ResourcesKjernestoff
Turning a Centre Punch in the LatheKjernestoff
Actor in the UKKjernestoff
Art - Further WorkKjernestoff
Beautician in the UKKjernestoff
Graphic Designer in the UKKjernestoff
A Live Sound Engineer in the UKKjernestoff
Musician in the UKKjernestoff
A Photographer in the UKKjernestoff
Video Producer in the UKKjernestoff
At the Restaurant (dialogue)Kjernestoff
Chef in the UKKjernestoff
Cottage Pie with a TwistKjernestoff
Hard Rock Cafe InterviewKjernestoff
Meet a ConciergeKjernestoff
Working at a Hostel - InterviewKjernestoff
Waiter in the UKKjernestoff
Childminder in the UKKjernestoff
Health Care Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
Pharmacy Technician in the UKKjernestoff
Talking About DisabilitiesKjernestoff
The Human BodyKjernestoff
The Muscular SystemKjernestoff
A Baker in the UKKjernestoff
A Confectioner in the UKKjernestoff
A Sales Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
Working as a Flight AttendantKjernestoff
A Railway AccidentKjernestoff
Career Related TasksKjernestoff
Car Mechanic in the UKKjernestoff
Dialogue - Car RentalKjernestoff
CNC Operator in the UKKjernestoff
Electrician in the UKKjernestoff
Hand Tools, Drag and DropKjernestoff
Marking and Measuring Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff
Various Tools - TasksKjernestoff
Electrician's Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff
HSE in Agriculture and Related IndustriesKjernestoff
An ICT Technician in the UKKjernestoff
Laboratory Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
A Plumber in the UKKjernestoff
Carpenter's Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff