These tasks are based on the text Child Soldiers.
- What can you say about the number of child soldiers in the world today? Where do you find the majority of them?
- Give examples of reasons for joining military groups.
- Describe the tasks a child soldier may be given.
- Why is the situation unique for the girls?
- What kind of challenges do the children face after the conflict is over?
- What are DDR programs?
- Explain what has been done to help the children in conflict torn countries.
- In your opinion, what do you think the long term consequences may be for a country that has used child soldiers in a civil war?
Sit in pairs and formulate questions and answers to the keywords below. Find as much information as you can from the text.
The United Nations, child soldiers, combat zone, suicide mission, surrogate family, government forces, DDR programs, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child
Match the synonyms
Pick 10-15 nouns from the text and find synonyms for the words. Make a similar task like the one above using mytask.no (pair off). Test a partner if he / she can combine the words.
Watch the UNICEF video Liberia Child Soldiers. Write a short paragraph about the five points below where you sum up the information you are given. Compare your notes with a partner.
1. Sunny’s experience in the war
2. the UNICEF resource center
3. the importance of skill training, education and play
4. the new government’s view on children
5. Sunny’s situation today
Digging Deeper for Information
Write an essay based on one of the following tasks:
- Important key words for the conflict in Liberia are: the National Patriotic Front of Liberia and Charles Taylor. Find information about the conflict, Charles Taylor and how child soldiers were used. Also find information about today’s situation in Liberia.
- Thomas Lubanga was in March, 2012 convicted by the International Criminal Court for recruiting and using child soldiers in the conflict in DR Congo. Find out more about the conviction, the conflict and the situation in DR Congo today.
- Joseph Kony is the head of the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) in Uganda. At the beginning of 2012 an international Facebook / Twitter campaign was launched against him in an attempt to have him arrested. Find out more about Joseph Kony, the LRA, the conflict in Uganda and the campaign against him.
Enter the website below. Here you will find a WebQuest where you can learn more about child soldiers and – at the end of the project - perhaps answer the question: What should be done about child soldiers? Child Soldiers – A Web Quest .
Multiculturalism - A Challenge?Kjernestoff
Social Media and Political ChangeKjernestoff
The Death Penalty - A Brief HistoryKjernestoff
Edward Snowdon - Hero or Traitor?Kjernestoff
Terrorism - a Violent AlternativeKjernestoff
The Right to Bear ArmsKjernestoff
Illegal Organ DonationKjernestoff
Occupy Wall StreetTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
"A Long Way Gone" Ishmael BeahTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Film: Bowling for ColumbineTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Crossing Dangerous BordersTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
GITMO - Guantanamo BayTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
AIDS in Sub-Saharan AfricaTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Mediatization and PoliticsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
List of recommended filmsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Recommended list of novelsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Multiculturalism - A Challenge - VocabularyKjernestoff
Consumerism - TasksKjernestoff
Consumerism - ProjectKjernestoff
Views on Today’s Death Penalty in the USAKjernestoff
Prefixes in Terrorism VocabularyKjernestoff
Multinational Corporations - ProjectKjernestoff
The Constant GardenerKjernestoff
Task - Guns and DemocracyKjernestoff
The Right to Bear Arms - TasksKjernestoff
Role-play: The Right to Bear ArmsKjernestoff
Working with International ConflictsKjernestoff
Conflicts – ProjectKjernestoff
David Cameron on MulticulturalismTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Indigenous People in Multicultural SocietiesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Public Protest, Vocabulary - Drag and DropTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
They Said "No" - ProjectTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Where Do Racism and Prejudice Come From?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
9/11 - The Neighbor That DisappearedTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Terrorist by John UpdikeTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
22 July – Darkness at NoonTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Blood Diamond (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Aids in Sub-Saharan AfricaTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Food - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Glass Ceiling - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff