The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 6 (OU)
- This lecture is called “The Sun Never Sets on the English Language”. How does the original saying go? Why do you think the lecture has this title?
- The lecturer says that they decided to take the English language on “a world tour”. What is implied in this?
- From the time of Napoleon until WWI,
- what was the size of the British Empire in sq miles?
- how many people were part of the British Empire?
- How did the British colonies affect the English language and its vocabulary?
- Why was it natural to adopt new words from the new countries in the Empire?
- Which impact do you think English had on the local languages in the British colonies?
- Below you will find some of the words listed in the lecture. Try to trace their origin and their meaning:
- Rum punch
Suggested Further Reading
Sist oppdatert 15.06.2018
Tekst: Knut Inge Skifjeld og Eli Huseby (CC BY-SA)