The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 4 (OU)
- When was this new Bible printed?
- What did it introduce into the English language?
- Who are the "salt of the earth"?
- Why was this new Bible so important?
- What is meant by “metaphors”?
Explain the following expressions in your own words:
- the powers that be
- go the extra mile
- filthy lucre
- a fire and brimstone preacher
- a wolf in sheep's clothing
- a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
- a fly in the ointment
Suggested Further Reading
Last updated 06/15/2018
Text: Knut Inge Skifjeld and Eli Huseby (CC BY-SA)