Namedropper - Tasks
- Describe Treena’s looks and interests.
- Where does Treena live and how is her neighbourhood depicted?
- Why are Treena and Viva always late for school?
- How did Treena respond when she got a baby brother?
- Give examples of “hate crimes” that Treena has committed towards Marcus? Why does she want to punish him?
- Why does the narrator term Treena’s madness as “masculine”?
- Treena had tried her hand at babysitting and hairdressing. Explain why she had to quit her jobs.
- What annoys Viva about American sex symbols?
- In which ways is Treena an extraordinary girl?
- The opening of the novel resembles a certain fairy tale. Which famous fairy tale is associated with a gingerbread cottage, bread crumbs and an oven?
- What happened to the two protagonists (main characters) in the fairy tale? How does this differ from Viva’s relationship with the “super-shiny boy” ?
- Look up the meaning of “silver screen”. Why does Viva describe her friend as a “silver-screen goddess” and what does that indicate about Viva’s favourite preoccupation?
- Why do you think the author has chosen a first person narrator for her story? How does it affect the story?
- Use the information provided in the introduction and the excerpt. What would Treena’s and/or Viva’s profiles on MySpace, Facebook or Twitter be like? Make their profiles.
- Study the excerpt and expand their profiles by including friends. What kind of friends do you think Treena and Viva would invite?
- Look up the lexical meaning of namedropping in an encyclopaedia. Find synonyms associated with it. What kind of connotations do the synonyms carry?
- Look up interviews with Emma Forrest, e.g. the one that Jane Bradley did for BitchBuzz.com and/or Rachel Cooke’s 2002 interview for the Observer and answer the questions:
a. To what extent is Emma Forrest herself a celebrity?
b. Judging from the excerpt, to which extent do you think that “Namedropper” is autobiographical?
- The Walk of Fame is a sidewalk in Hollywood imprinted with more than 2,000 stars featuring names of celebrities. Two Norwegian females have been honoured with stars. Do you know their names?
Make a fictional interview with a celebrity that you admire.
- Why is namedropping often regarded negatively? Do you find any positive aspects of namedropping?
- Many teenagers have idols. Make a list of teen idols. What do they have in common?
- How important is it to you to appear trendy and cool? Do you think it should be important?
- Name some trendy or cool labels and brands you know of? Make a list and compare between you. Are there many of the same names on all of the lists?