Chapter 5 - The English of Science
Published: 06.12.2011, Updated: 04.03.2017
The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 5 (OU)
- The lecturer says "how to talk with gravity". What makes us laugh at this? Look up the meanings of the word "gravity".
- When did science start to be recognised?
- Which language did the scientists use to start with?
- Why did the scientists switch language?
- Which important scientific institution was established?
- Explain Newton's theory in your own words.
- Why was it important that scientific discoveries were communicated in English?
- Which language are the following scientific words derived from:
- How do you think that the use of English in the new sciences that appeared in the 17th and 18th centuries contributed to the spread of English?