What do you know about Loch Ness and its famous monster?
Read through the comprehension questions before listening to the interview.
In this interview Adrian Shine talks about Loch Ness and the Exhibition Centre. Listen to the interview, which will give you the answers to the following questions:
- What has been Adrian’s responsibility regarding the public exhibition?
- What does he say about the amount of water in Loch Ness?
- In what ways do they want to promote science at the centre?
- How many witnesses have so far claimed to have observed the monster?
- What was the importance of dragons in medieval art?
- Adrian mentions the word diaspora. What does he mean by that, and what does he say about the consequences?
- Which lake in Norway does he mention?
During this interview Adrian Shine focuses on the importance of science.
Explain the following words in English
- Food chains
- Towards the end of the interview Adrian asks the question “Is it just one big tourist rip-off?”
What is his answer to this question?
- Think through your own personal opinion about this mystery, and discuss your point of view with 2 or 3 of your fellow students
- Look up the home page of the Loch Ness Exhibition Centre and prepare a short presentation of this centre to give to a Norwegian school class travelling to Loch Ness. Loch Ness Exhibition Centre
- Find out as much as possible about Selma, the monster in the Seljord Lake and prepare a two minute introduction to a school class from Scotland visiting Seljord.