Use the documentary "Will a Robot Steal my Job?" to think critically about the impact of artificial intelligence on your future vocation.
My Future Vocation
Technology has had an enormous impact on the workplace. The documentary claims that it is estimated that nearly half of all US jobs will be automated in the next 20 years. In the documentary, futurist Martin Ford says that if you don't want a robot to steal your job, the safest choice in the near future would be skilled jobs or "Jobs that really require lots of mobility, dexterity and problem-solving in an unpredictable environment".
- First, use an online dictionary to make yourself familiar with the terms: skilled, mobility, dexterity, unpredictable and environment.
- Choose a future vocation for yourself and assess it using the following factors. Add a number from 1-5, where 1 is very low or little and 5 is very high or a lot:
- Amount of education or training needed to do the job:
- How mobile do you have to be to do the job?
- What is the level of dexterity in this job?
- How much problem-solving is involved in this job?
- How unpredictable is the everyday working environment?
Bonus question: Can you think of a job which would score 5 on all five points?
In small groups, present your assessment and compare each other's thoughts and opinions.
Summarize your assessment in a short written text. Use the five bullet points to help you structure your text. Remember to start off by explaining your choice of vocation.