This text uses a number of powerful images to portray Mia's thoughts and feelings. Use these images as a starting point for an analysis of the literary devices: metaphors and similes.
Part 1 (Individually or small groups)
- Watch the above animation to help determine the difference between metaphors and similes.
- Divide a page into two and beneath the titles "Metaphors" and "Similes", add a short definition of the two devices.
- Find examples of metaphors and similes in the text "The Monster". Add 2-3 examples to each category, using direct quotations.
- Choose the metaphor or simile that you find the most interesting and choose a song that it reminds you of. In one paragraph, explain how the two are in some way connected.
- Find a recording of the song (i.e. on YouTube) and select a 30-60 second sample.
- In groups or as a class, read your explanation and play a sample of the song. Listen to the feedback from your classmates and discover how a great image can transform and adapt to many different settings!
CC BY-SASkrevet av Sonja Nygaard-Joki.
Sist faglig oppdatert 07.05.2020