Explore the details of the song "An Englishman in New York" and discuss what it means to be "a legal alien" in a foreign country.
Before you start the tasks to this song, watch the music video and read carefully through the lyrics of the song.
Translate the following words into Norwegian
- Where is Fifth Avenue and how would you characterize it?
Explain the difference between
- An alien
- An illegal alien
- A legal alien
Discuss and interpret the following phrases:
- “If, "Manners maketh man" as someone said, then he's the hero of the day”
- “It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile”
- “Be yourself no matter what they say”. Who are "they"?
- “Modesty, propriety can lead to notoriety”
- “Gentleness, sobriety are rare in this society”
- “At night a candle's brighter than the sun”
The UK vs. the USA
Make a table with two columns. Use the USA as a heading for one column and the UK as a heading for the other. List all of the words/phrases you associate with each country or culture in the appropriate column.