Tasks based on the play "An Inspector Calls" by J.B.Priestly.
Literary Analysis: Plot, Characters, Theme and Setting
- Select one of the members of the Birling family and write a character study. Use the text for reference to show how Priestley uses the character to convey his own opinions and attitudes.
- What do you consider the major themes of this play? Use examples from the text to verify your answers.
- The play was written during the winter of 1944/45. However, the play is set in the Edwardian past, around 30 years earlier. Why do you think this is so?
- Do you think An Inspector Calls has a message for us today? Give reasons for your answer.
- What will happen with the arrival of the real police inspector? Use dialogue and stage directions to show your understanding of character. Write it down and act it out.
- The scandal of the Birling family has hit the headlines of the Daily Gazette. Write the newspaper article.
- Write a literary analysis of the play.
- Write an essay elaborating on themes in the play that you find relevant today.
Sist oppdatert 03.03.2017