Books reports can be fun if you know how. While reading, keep a notepad to write down notes and page numbers of content you might want to use. For example, write down scenes that make an impression on you and how characters act. This will help you later when you write your outline.
Outline of Book Report
The introduction presents the main information about your book. Include the following:
- Title of the book which is either underlined or italicized
- The author’s first and last name
- Where the book was published
- The date of publication
Your introduction for both fiction and non-fiction may also include background information about the author, the main sections you will be focusing on, and questions you will raise.
The main body makes up the essence of the book report. It is here you go more in depth and present and discuss your main headings or sections from your outline.
For Fiction: (See also How to Analyze a Novel)
- Setting – Where and when (present, past or future) the story take place
- Social circumstances – The social conditions of the time.
- Main characters – Description of the characters and their personalities.
- A plot summary – The basic plot in the story. What happens. The most important events.
- Climax of the story –The most intense moment; the turning point of the story.
- Point of view – Through whose eyes the story is being told.
- Style – the author’s style. The mood and tone of the story (choice of words, use of metaphor, etc.)
- Themes –The main ideas behind the story.
- Personal impressions – Your thoughts and opinions about the book. Your likes and dislikes regarding the ending.
- Author’s topic – What the author is writing about.
- Main points - What the main thesis of book is. – Make a short summary of the author’s main points.
- Arguments – The arguments the author uses to prove his case. Do you agree with him?
- Conclusions – The author's final opinion. Do you agree?
- Personal Impressions – What did you learn? Did you think it was interesting?
- Would you recommend the book to others?
A conclusion is a final paragraph which summarizes the main points in your book report. It should recapitulate your introduction and answer questions raised in the introduction. You may be required to give your personal impression of the book as a whole, discuss its strengths and weaknesses, give your reasons for likes and dislikes, or maybe explain what you have learned.
How to Analyze a NovelKjernestoff
How to Analyze a Short StoryKjernestoff
How to Analyze PoetryKjernestoff
How to Analyze a FilmKjernestoff
How to Write a Film ReviewKjernestoff
How to Write a Newspaper ArticleKjernestoff
Characterise a News ArticleKjernestoff
How to Write an ArticleKjernestoff
How to Write an EssayKjernestoff
How to Write a CVKjernestoff
Job Application - VocationalKjernestoff
How to Work with InstructionsKjernestoff
How to Write a Formal LetterKjernestoff
How to Write a Letter to the EditorKjernestoff
How to Write a ReportKjernestoff
Write a Report - ChecklistKjernestoff
How to Write a Report - Work Task or EventKjernestoff
How to Write a Work ReportKjernestoff
How to Write Factual TextsKjernestoff
How to write with styleKjernestoff
Working with Projects - Grammar ChecklistKjernestoff
Example text: How to Write an EssayKjernestoff
How to Analyze a Novel (easy)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Analyse Poetry (easy)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Language of PoetryTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
CV - vocationalTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Organize Project Work - IntroTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Check - Oral PresentationsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Write a Project PaperTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Working with Projects - Log EntriesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Work with NovelsKjernestoff
Write a Letter to the EditorKjernestoff
How to Get the Message AcrossKjernestoff
How to Write a Book Report - QuizTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Make Job EnquiriesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Make a Vox Pop InterviewTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Self Assessment - ProjectsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Det er ikke noe kjernestoff for vurderingsressurs.