A school dinner is provided to schoolchildren at most schools in the UK. In recent years, there has been more focus on nutrition and healthier school meals, especially after celebrity chef, Jamie Oliver, in 2004, started a campaign to provide better quality food in schools.
Tasks and Activities
Harrow School is a public school in England. Many students live at the school and perhaps only go home at weekends or in the holidays.
You may wish to find out more about Harrow School. You can listen to a student talking about the school here: English Public Schools - Interview
Make a survey at your school in which you ask students about their eating habits at school. Make your own questions or use the suggested ones.
- What do you eat?
- When do you eat?
- Do the teachers mind if you eat during lessons?
- Do you bring your own food?
- How much do you spend in the school’s canteen?
- What do you think about the selection of food in the canteen?
- Do you think that the food in the canteen is healthy?
- How important is it for you personally to eat healthy food?
What are your concerns when you buy food in the canteen? Categorise from 1 – 6 (1=low priority – 6=top priority)
- how tempting it is
- how quick it is to eat
- how practical it is to eat
- how healthy it is, calories, proteins)