This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a CNC operator in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: gap; ply (plywood); carpenter; joiner; CAD; insecurity
Listen to the following interview with a CNC operator in the UK and find out:
- Where he works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK he works.
- Why he chose this profession.
- What type of tasks he has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities he suggests are needed by a CNC operator.
- Does he describe any work processes or services that he provides?
- What he likes best and least about his job.
- How he thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where he sees himself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- The manager says that they have a large workload at the moment and will not be able to do the job until next week. This makes the customer angry.
- The customer is telephoning to ask if his plywood profiles are finished. They were supposed to be done by this afternoon.
- The customer phones to complain about the plywood profiles that were made for him. The dimensions are incorrect.