This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a health care assistant in the UK.
Use a dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: profession, variety, medication, patience, empathy, initiative, client, wheelchair, sheet, boring, medicine
Listen to the interview with a health care assistant in the UK and find out:
- Where she works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK she works.
- Why she chose this profession.
- What type of tasks she has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities she suggests are needed by a health care assistant.
- Does she describe any work processes or services that she provides?
- What she likes best and least about her job.
- How she thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where she sees herself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practiced, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- Someone knocks at the door, the carer answers it.
- Mrs Johnsen asks for help to get to the bathroom.
- Mrs Johnsen tells the carer about what she did yesterday.
- The telephone rings.