This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a plumber in the UK.
Before listening, check that you know the meaning of the following words: self-employed, sailor, trade supplies, be well-presented (person), basin, waste pipes, smelly and renovation.
Listen to the following interview with a plumber in the UK and find out:
- Where he works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK he works.
- Why he chose this profession.
- What type of tasks he has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities he suggests are needed by a plumber.
- Does he describe any work processes or services that he provides?
- What he likes best and least about his job.
- How he thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where he sees himself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- Mrs. Johnson decides that she wants a bathtub installed instead of the shower cabinet. The plumber says this will delay the completion of the job.
- Mrs. Johnson says that she cannot be at home next week and asks the plumber if he can try and finish the job by the end of this week.
- The plumber apologises because he has not yet received the sink unit Mrs. Johnson wants, but hopes to get it by next week.