crew, long/short haul, destination, turbulence, roster
Two Australian flight attendants are being interviewed about their jobs.
Based on the information in the interview, make questions for the answers below. Only check the suggested solution after you have completed your own questions.
- Positive and negative sides to it
- Cleaning up mess
- Travelling the world
- Time changes
- 17 hours
- The whole crew has to agree.
- A two month roster which they get two weeks in advance
- Inland Australia and international routes mostly from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane
- Los Angeles, San Francisco, Hawaii, and Hong Kong, for example
- Not really, mostly just turbulence
- A tyre burst
- Regular practices and every six months they have to pass an exam
- Which airline do they work for?
- What do they feel about their job?
- What is one of the negative aspects of the job?
- What is one of the positive aspects of the job?
- Is there anything that they find particularly difficult about the job?
- How long can they fly in one go?
- What are the rules if they are asked to work longer?
- What is their work schedule like?
- Where does Qantas fly?
- What are some of the destinations which they fly to?
- Have they experienced any scary episodes?
- What happened to one of the women a couple of weeks ago?
- What kind of safety training do they have?
Check out the map, Qantas, and find out where Qantas/Qantas Link flies to. Find examples in a) Asia, b) Europe (may require a stopover) and c) North America that you can fly to from:
- At Qantas Careers - Flight Attendants choose either international, domestic or regional flights and make notes on the essential requirements needed to become a flight attendant.
- Sit in pairs and tell your partner what you have found out. What would you say was the most important skill required to become a flight attendant?
- The two flight attendants fly to destinations all over the world. Use the World Clock to find the time at this moment in the following cities:
- Sydney, New South Wales
- Perth, Western Australia
- Los Angeles, California
- London, UK
- Hong Kong
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Copy the table into your text editor. Then use the Time Zone Convertor at World Clock to calculate the arrival times for the following flights (assume the flights depart today):
|Depart From||To||Flight Time ||Arrival Time|
|Sydney, Aus. at 08:00||Brisbane, Australia||2 hours|
|Brisbane at 12:00||Hong Kong||8 hours|
|Hong Kong at 08:15||Amsterdam, Netherlands||12 hours|
|Amsterdam at 12:30||Oslo, Norway||2 hours|
|Oslo at 15:35||London, UK||2 hours|
|London at 21:50||New York, USA||7 hours|
|New York at 11:10||San Francisco, USA||7 hours|
|San Francisco at 18:00||Honolulu, Hawaii, USA||5 hours|
|Honolulu at 06:45||Melbourne, Australia||11 hours|
- Brisbane 09:00
- Hong Kong 18:00
- Amsterdam 13:15
- Oslo 14:30
- London 16:35
- New York 23:50
- San Francisco 15:10
- Honolulu 16:00
- Melbourne 14:45 the following day
In pairs: One of you is a flight attendant and the other is a passenger. Make dialogues where:
- The passenger is polite and pleasant.
- The passenger is angry and impatient.
The passenger should:
- Complain about the food
- Buy something from the taxfree trolley
- Ask for something to drink
- Ask to move to another seat, because the passenger beside him/her is ..........
Building and Construction Tools - ResourcesKjernestoff
Tools and MachinesKjernestoff
Colours and What They MeanKjernestoff
Finding Your Personal ColoursKjernestoff
The History of DrawingKjernestoff
Being a ButlerKjernestoff
Multicultural Cooking in the UKKjernestoff
An English BreakfastKjernestoff
Fish and ChipsKjernestoff
In a UK RestaurantKjernestoff
British Food - Regional SpecialitiesKjernestoff
Spices and HerbsKjernestoff
Micro-Organisms and InfectionKjernestoff
Health Issue: ObesityKjernestoff
Our Amazing Defence SystemKjernestoff
Owner's Manual, Marin Mountain BikesKjernestoff
Crude Oil - UpstreamKjernestoff
Crude Oil - DownstreamKjernestoff
Electric, Electrical or Electronic?Kjernestoff
Marking and Measuring ToolsKjernestoff
Power to the PeopleKjernestoff
Transmission of PowerKjernestoff
A Carpenter in the UKKjernestoff
Heavy Construction EquipmentKjernestoff
Tools and Machines - ResourcesKjernestoff
Turning a Centre Punch in the LatheKjernestoff
Actor in the UKKjernestoff
Art - Further WorkKjernestoff
Beautician in the UKKjernestoff
Graphic Designer in the UKKjernestoff
A Hairdresser in the UKKjernestoff
A Live Sound Engineer in the UKKjernestoff
Musician in the UKKjernestoff
A Photographer in the UKKjernestoff
Video Producer in the UKKjernestoff
At the Restaurant (dialogue)Kjernestoff
Chef in the UKKjernestoff
Cottage Pie with a TwistKjernestoff
Hard Rock Cafe InterviewKjernestoff
Meet a ConciergeKjernestoff
Working at a Hostel - InterviewKjernestoff
Waiter in the UKKjernestoff
Childminder in the UKKjernestoff
Health Care Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
Pharmacy Technician in the UKKjernestoff
Talking About DisabilitiesKjernestoff
The Human BodyKjernestoff
The Muscular SystemKjernestoff
A Baker in the UKKjernestoff
A Confectioner in the UKKjernestoff
A Sales Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
A Railway AccidentKjernestoff
Career Related TasksKjernestoff
Car Mechanic in the UKKjernestoff
Dialogue - Car RentalKjernestoff
CNC Operator in the UKKjernestoff
Electrician in the UKKjernestoff
Hand Tools, Drag and DropKjernestoff
Marking and Measuring Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff
Various Tools - TasksKjernestoff
Electrician's Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff
HSE in Agriculture and Related IndustriesKjernestoff
An ICT Technician in the UKKjernestoff
Laboratory Assistant in the UKKjernestoff
A Plumber in the UKKjernestoff
Carpenter's Tools - Drag and DropKjernestoff