Based on the resource Oliver Twist's Story
- How does Charles Dickens try to stir the conscience of the public in this story?
- Can an artist or author make a difference when it comes to social evils and human misery? Do you know any examples of artists or authors who have had an impact on history?
- Rank the major characters you meet in the excerpt in a table with two columns under the headings good and evil. Was it easy to rank them? Why, why not?
- The names of Dickens' characters often hold clues to their personality. Comment on the following names: Sowerberry, Bumble and Twist.
- One of the literary devices that Charles Dickens uses is exaggeration. Can you find examples of exaggerations? Why do you think he frequently makes use of this device?
- How can you tell that the story is set in the early 1800s? What kind of references do you find to social conditions, early industrialisation and urbanisation?
- You probably watch TV series. Would this excerpt make a good episode of a TV series? Explain.
- The last paragraph in "Oliver Twist's Story" sums up the ending. What is your opinion of the ending of the story?
- What do fictional characters like Harry Potter and Oliver Twist have in common?
Romeo & Juliet - the balcony sceneKjernestoff
William Shakespeare - An IntroductionKjernestoff
Oscar Wilde: The Selfish GiantKjernestoff
Roald Dahl: Lamb to the SlaughterKjernestoff
Tasks: Lamb to the SlaughterKjernestoff
J. Boyne: The Boy In the Striped PyjamasKjernestoff
East is East (Film)Kjernestoff
Film: The QueenKjernestoff
The British Royal FamilyKjernestoff
Film: Bend It Like BeckhamKjernestoff
London Knife CrimeKjernestoff
Climate Change and Global WarmingKjernestoff
Interview - Growing up in LondonTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
UK - Protecting Our Planet - Letter to the EditorTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Sun's Impact on Our ClimateTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
British Slave TradeTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Industrial RevolutionTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Doctors Warn British Party TeensTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Tasks: The Adventure of the Crooked ManKjernestoff
Tasks: The Selfish GiantKjernestoff
An Englishman in New York (Song)Kjernestoff
Task: Song LyricsKjernestoff
UK Quiz - General KnowledgeKjernestoff
Tasks - The British Royal FamilyKjernestoff
Task: Monarchy - Yes or No?Kjernestoff
Tasks - FootballKjernestoff
Football Quiz 1Kjernestoff
Football Quiz 2Kjernestoff
Film café: Bend It Like BeckhamKjernestoff
Tasks - British FoodKjernestoff
Interview - What I Love about EnglandTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff