Study the texts "The Orange and the Green" and "The Troubles" and match the concept with its explanation
|The Orange Order||conflicts from the 1960s until the 1990s|
|Partition||militant organisation in favour of a united Ireland|
|Plantation||the division of Ireland into two parts|
|Ulster||order associated with William of Orange|
|Republican||a person that wants to remain in the UK|
|IRA||a person that wants to be a part of Eire|
|Good Friday Agreement||painting or grafitti applied on walls|
|Mural||the Gaelic name for Northern Ireland|
|Bloody Sunday||policy of colonising Northern Ireland|
|Loyalist||incident when 14 protesters were killed|
|The Troubles||seize-fire treaty signed in 1998|
- The Orange Order=order associated with William of Orange
- Partition= the division of Ireland into two parts
- Plantation = policy of colonising Northern Ireland
- Ulster= the Gaelic name for Northern Ireland
- Republican= a person that wants to be a part of Eire
- IRA=militant organisation in favour of a united Ireland
- Good Friday Agreement= seize-fire treaty signed in 1998
- Mural= painting or grafitti applied on walls
- Bloody Sunday= incident when 14 protesters were killed
- Loyalist= a person that wants to remain in the UK
- The Troubles=conflicts from the 1960s until the 1990s
Tasks about the Murals
Below you can study murals from Belfast, Northern Ireland. As you can see murals are huge images, e.g. on walls and public surfaces. They are often made as a means of persuasion and protesting.
- Why do you think the mural is chosen as a means of communicating protest?
- Murals are often found in urban areas. Why, do you think?
Focus on the individual mural expressions and the texts about “The Orange and the Green” and “The Troubles”:
- What do you think the Republican mural expresses? Explain the use of colours and symbols to support your statement.
- What do you think the Loyalist mural expresses? Explain the use of colours and symbols to support your statement.
- Study the Bobby Sands’ mural.
What can you find out about Bobby Sands? Which party in the conflict do you think has composed this portrayal? Why do you think the artist chose to portray him? Give reasons for your answer by pinpointing various devices used.
- Is mural painting art?
- Discuss which tools are required in large mural projects, like the ones below.
- Focus on ONE of the mural expressions below and comment on use of motif, colours, symbols and techniques. What kind of message do you think it conveys?
An Introduction to EnglandKjernestoff
A Closer Look at EnglandKjernestoff
An Introduction to ScotlandKjernestoff
A Closer Look at ScotlandKjernestoff
An Introduction to WalesKjernestoff
A Closer Look at WalesKjernestoff
An Introduction to Northern IrelandKjernestoff
A Closer Look at Northern IrelandKjernestoff
An Introduction to IrelandKjernestoff
Easy Text - The UKTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Easy Text - An Intro. to EnglandTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The North - South DivideTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Faces of LondonTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Easy Text - An intro. to ScotlandTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Bobby - the Faithful Dog from EdinburghTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Easy Text - An intro. to WalesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Easy Text - An intro. to Northern IrelandTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Troubles, Introduction - Text in BriefTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Troubles, History - Text in BriefTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Troubles, 1960s to Today - Text in BriefTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Orange and the GreenTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Flags in Northern IrelandTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Radio Play: Into ExileTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Frank McCourt: Angela's AshesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
UK Quiz - General KnowledgeKjernestoff
Task - Match place and descriptionKjernestoff
Plan a Holiday in ScotlandKjernestoff
Task: Bobby - the faithful dog...Kjernestoff
Northern Ireland QuizKjernestoff
Tasks: Into ExileKjernestoff
Task: Molly MaloneKjernestoff
Quiz Molly MaloneKjernestoff
In the Name of the Father (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a MountainTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Det er ikke noe kjernestoff for kildemateriale.