Discuss, Present or Write
- Taylor travels from Pittman, Kentucky to Tucson, Arizona. On her way, she stops in the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma. Use the information given in the story to map her journey. Use “my map” on Google Maps to do so. Explain what happens in the different places. If you want to learn more, you could include information that will make the journey (and the story) even more interesting.
Watch the video How to create a "My Map" in Google Maps to get started. Google Maps
- Make a visual presentation of the Cherokee Nation. Include facts about the Trail of Tears.
- Write an article about the Sanctuary movement.
- What happened to Turtle? Write her story.
- The Bean Trees deals with the theme of being an outsider. In what ways are various characters outsiders? What does this suggest about what it takes to be an insider? How does feeling like an outsider affect one's life?
- The police have just arrested 30 illegal immigrants. You are working as a journalist in the Tucson Paper. Write a news article about the incident. Include some background information.
- List the social issues that Kingsolver presents in The Bean Trees and explain how these issues affect the lives of the novel's characters. Write an essay.
To learn more about the novel, the Cherokee Nation and the Sanctuary movement, look at CliffsNotes
Immigration and PopulationKjernestoff
Waves of ImmigrationKjernestoff
Melting Pot and Salad BowlKjernestoff
On the Way to the Melting PotKjernestoff
Immigrants and RefugeesKjernestoff
Two Kinds (Short Story)Kjernestoff
Carl Sandburg: ChicagoKjernestoff
Native Americans TodayKjernestoff
Native Americans - Forced RemovalKjernestoff
Native Americans - The Trail of TearsKjernestoff
Tony's Story (Short Story)Kjernestoff
The Bean Trees (Novel Excerpt)Kjernestoff
The Last Leaf (Short Story)Kjernestoff
The Kite Runner (Novel Excerpt)Kjernestoff
Harrison Bergeron (Radio Play)Kjernestoff
Easy text - Immigration and PopulationTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Easy text - The Melting PotTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
African Americans TodayTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Easy text - Native AmericansTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Native Americans - Ancestral VoicesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
In Pursuit of a DreamTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Task 1 - Immigration and PopulationKjernestoff
Task 2 - Immigration and PopulationKjernestoff
Task - Waves of ImmigrationKjernestoff
Task - The Melting PotKjernestoff
Tasks - Two KindsKjernestoff
Task 1 - African Americans TodayKjernestoff
Task 2 - African Americans TodayKjernestoff
Task - Native Americans TodayKjernestoff
Task - Native Americans - Ancestral VoicesKjernestoff
Tasks - Tony's StoryKjernestoff
Sherman Alexie: Missed ConnectionsKjernestoff
Multiple Choice task - The Bean TreesKjernestoff
Tasks - The Last LeafKjernestoff
Multiple choice task -The Last LeafKjernestoff
Multiple choice task - The Kite RunnerKjernestoff
Tasks - Harrison BergeronKjernestoff
Comprehension task - Harrison BergeronKjernestoff
Why the North Star Stands StillTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Interview with Sherman AlexieTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff