The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 10 (OU)
- How many years have passed since the Romans left Britain? What significance did their withdrawal from Britain have for the development of the English language?
- Which capabilities did the English language have since it managed to conquer the world?
- How many languages has English adopted words from?
- What is the total number of English speakers?
- How many speak it as their mother tongue?
- How many speak it as a second language?
- What problems does English present for a learner?
- In which context is Singlish, Hinglish and Chinglish mentioned? Where do you find these accents and why is it necessary to give these accents individual names?
- Why do you think the lecturer suggests that if somebody should think up a new word for English, “it should be in Chinese”?
Do you think the global language should have a different name than English? Can you suggest a name?
Write an essay where you present arguments and discuss your view of the future of the English language. Some points to consider:
- Will it continue to be the international language of communication?
- Will it survive in a similar form?
- Will there continue to be several varieties of English?
- Will it be adapted into a simplified language like Globish?
- Will English threaten local languages?
Suggested Further Reading
English Around the WorldKjernestoff
English - World Language Number OneKjernestoff
And the Millionth Word is . . .Kjernestoff
The Origins of the English LanguageKjernestoff
English Spreading WorldwideKjernestoff
English in BritainKjernestoff
Why So Much Variety in English?Kjernestoff
Why is English So Popular?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Fun Language FactsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
English-Speaking Countries - TaskKjernestoff
English as a Global Language QuizKjernestoff
Word origin - 2Kjernestoff
Word origin - 1Kjernestoff
Why So Much Variety in English? - TasksKjernestoff
The Norman ConquestTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The King James BibleTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The English of ScienceTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
English and EmpireTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Age of the DictionaryTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Ages of English TimelineTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Det er ikke noe kjernestoff for ekstern læringsressurs.