The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 1 (OU)
- Which groups that invaded Britain are mentioned here, where did they come from and approx. when did they arrive?
- What is the difference between the type of words in English that come from Latin and those from Anglo-Saxon?
- About when did Christianity arrive in Britain?
- What type of words did the advent of Christianity bring into English?
- What type of words came from the Vikings?
- When the lecturer says that the Vikings were “into give and take” in terms of language, what does he mean? (tip: loan words)
The Vikings introduced many words into English. How many English words can you think of which are used in Norwegian today?
Suggested Further Reading
English Around the WorldKjernestoff
English - World Language Number OneKjernestoff
And the Millionth Word is . . .Kjernestoff
The Origins of the English LanguageKjernestoff
English Spreading WorldwideKjernestoff
English in BritainKjernestoff
Why So Much Variety in English?Kjernestoff
Why is English So Popular?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Fun Language FactsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
English-Speaking Countries - TaskKjernestoff
English as a Global Language QuizKjernestoff
Word origin - 2Kjernestoff
Word origin - 1Kjernestoff
Why So Much Variety in English? - TasksKjernestoff
The Norman ConquestTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The King James BibleTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The English of ScienceTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
English and EmpireTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Age of the DictionaryTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Ages of English TimelineTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Det er ikke noe kjernestoff for ekstern læringsressurs.