The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 5 (OU)
- The lecturer says "how to talk with gravity". What makes us laugh at this? Look up the meanings of the word "gravity".
- When did science start to be recognised?
- Which language did the scientists use to start with?
- Why did the scientists switch language?
- Which important scientific institution was established?
- Explain Newton's theory in your own words.
- Why was it important that scientific discoveries were communicated in English?
- Which language are the following scientific words derived from:
Dictionary, Thesaurus - the Free Dictionary
- How do you think that the use of English in the new sciences that appeared in the 17th and 18th centuries contributed to the spread of English?
Suggested Further Reading
English Around the WorldKjernestoff
English - World Language Number OneKjernestoff
And the Millionth Word is . . .Kjernestoff
The Origins of the English LanguageKjernestoff
English Spreading WorldwideKjernestoff
English in BritainKjernestoff
Why So Much Variety in English?Kjernestoff
Why is English So Popular?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Fun Language FactsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
English-Speaking Countries - TaskKjernestoff
English as a Global Language QuizKjernestoff
Word origin - 2Kjernestoff
Word origin - 1Kjernestoff
Why So Much Variety in English? - TasksKjernestoff
The Norman ConquestTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The King James BibleTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
English and EmpireTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Age of the DictionaryTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Ages of English TimelineTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Det er ikke noe kjernestoff for ekstern læringsressurs.