If you chose or were forced to work abroad, you would be one of the many millions of migrants moving to another country in order to work.
Make sure you understand these words before you read the text. Use the dictionary in the link collection to look up new words:
Some UN Migration statistics UN Migration
- International migrants in 2005 were 191 million on a global basis.
- The number living in a developing country and coming from another developing country (South to South migrants) was about the same as the number living in a developed country and coming from a developing country (South to North migrants).
- Percent of migrants living in different areas: Europe 34%, North America 23%, Asia 28%, Africa 9%, Latin America and Caribbean 3%, Oceania 3%
- Nearly half of all migrants worldwide are women. There are more women than men migrants in the developed countries.
- Nearly 6 out of every 10 highly-educated migrants living in OECD countries in 2000 originated in developing countries.
Further information: International Migration 2009
Pros and Cons of Working Abroad
Working abroad may be tempting for many reasons, for instance, to learn about other cultures and to acquire skills, e.g. foreign languages, new techniques, that may be hard to come by in one's home country. It also shows future employers that one is capable of coping with everything that living abroad entails. Thus, besides encouraging personal development, working abroad may give one a certain edge in today's competitive job market. However, the international job market isn't without its challenges.
Studying Abroad - Choosing a Place to StudyKjernestoff
Studying Abroad - IntroductionKjernestoff
Studying Abroad - ApplicationKjernestoff
Applying For a JobTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Working Abroad - FormalitiesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Job InterviewTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Formal and Informal LanguageTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Write a Letter to the EditorTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
How to Write a Newspaper ArticleTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Road Not Taken by Robert FrostTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
International Education – Useful ResourcesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Det er ikke noe kjernestoff for ekstern læringsressurs.