In this essay, South African author André Brink describes the pain he felt when terror struck Norway in July 2011, and the pride he felt for a nation that came together and rose up amid the sorrow.
Read the whole article from NRK Nyheter, 15 April 2012, and do the tasks.
About the Text
- "Darkness at Noon" is the title of the essay. Explain the choice of title.
- What does the first part of the essay deal with? How does this emphasise how terrible the terror attack 22/7 was?
- What images of Norway does André Brink use? Do they give a realistic picture of the country?
- How does he compare and contrast Norway and South Africa?
- How have South African politics changed in the last twenty years according to the author?
- This is a personal essay. What makes it personal? Find examples.
Read the information about André Brink's background and in pairs retell each other what he is renowned for.
Write a Caption
Write a caption (bildetekst) for each picture in the picture gallery associated with the article.
- Can an individual person have a long lasting influence on the development of society in a country? Name some examples
- Discuss the following statement and why you think it made such an impression internationally: "If one man can show so much hate think how much love we could show standing together."
- Consider the quotation: "--- the response to it should not be hate but, instead, «more democracy, more openness»." Is this what has happened in Norway or is the reality more complex?
- André Brink says, "It is the king. Every inch a king." What do you think the author means by "Every inch a king"?
- How does the style and personality of the Norwegian king compare to royalty in other countries?
- “While elsewhere, in our own poor, dark, narrow world, the small local king and his many wives must crouch in lies and sham and subterfuge.” Might he be referring to a particular person/s here? Who do you think that might be?
- "Finding ourselves in South Africa, some ten thousand kilometres away from our friends and the scene of the massacre, made the whole experience quite unbearable." Why do you think this was so?
Multiculturalism - A Challenge?Kjernestoff
Social Media and Political ChangeKjernestoff
The Death Penalty - A Brief HistoryKjernestoff
Edward Snowdon - Hero or Traitor?Kjernestoff
Terrorism - a Violent AlternativeKjernestoff
The Right to Bear ArmsKjernestoff
Illegal Organ DonationKjernestoff
On the Way to the Melting PotTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Occupy Wall StreetTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
"A Long Way Gone" Ishmael BeahTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Bowling for Columbine (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Crossing Dangerous BordersTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
GITMO - Guantanamo BayTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
AIDS in Sub-Saharan AfricaTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Mediatization and PoliticsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
List of recommended filmsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Recommended list of novelsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Multiculturalism - A Challenge - VocabularyKjernestoff
Consumerism - TasksKjernestoff
Consumerism - ProjectKjernestoff
Views on Today’s Death Penalty in the USAKjernestoff
Prefixes in Terrorism VocabularyKjernestoff
Child Soldiers – TasksKjernestoff
Multinational Corporations - ProjectKjernestoff
The Constant GardenerKjernestoff
Task - Guns and DemocracyKjernestoff
The Right to Bear Arms - TasksKjernestoff
Role-play: The Right to Bear ArmsKjernestoff
Working with International ConflictsKjernestoff
Conflicts – ProjectKjernestoff
David Cameron on MulticulturalismTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Indigenous People in Multicultural SocietiesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Public Protest, Vocabulary - Drag and DropTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
They Said "No" - ProjectTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Where Do Racism and Prejudice Come From?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
9/11 - The Neighbor That DisappearedTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Terrorist by John UpdikeTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Blood Diamond (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Aids in Sub-Saharan AfricaTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Food - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Glass Ceiling - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff