On this page you will find tips on how to prepare for the exam and links to past exams papers.
Assessment Guide and Past Exams Papers
Vurderings- og sensorveiledninger. You need to obtain a password from the school administrator to access the exam papers. Use ctrl+f to search for subjects.
On this site you will also find examples of assessment of student answers.
New regulations in 2018
In the guidance material for the 2018 written exam in Social Studies English, the new regulations state that students now have access to the internet during the exam. This allows you to access, read and study online sources, although it is essential that you cite the sources used in a clear and structured manner. It is also important to add that candidates are still not allowed to use any devices to communicate with each other during the exam and measures will be taken to check this. It is also recommended that students bring their own headphones to the exam, so they can work with texts and sources without disturbing others. Source: Eksamensveiledning SPR3010 Samfunnsfaglig engelsk (2018) www.udir.no
Tips to keep in mind
- Read through previously given exam papers and take note of what kind of questions are asked.
- Download or bookmark relevant texts form NDLA and other internet resources. Make sure you right-click on links if you want to print out pages. Choose open in new window/tab from menu. Otherwise they will open as lightboxes and they cannot be printed out separately.
- Take note of the common mistakes you have made throughout the year, when writing. Often the same type of mistake(s) pops up repeatedly.
- Bookmark and review “How to” instructions about writing styles. Remember to include: newspaper articles, letters to the editor, essays, articles, reports, speeches, etc. (see below)
- Review your reading list and make sure you have read a selection of texts from various genres.
- Read instructions and tasks on the exam paper carefully.
- Make notes along the way as ideas pop up in your mind.
- Use your dictionary to clarify difficult words in the task.
- Always reread your answer to
- make sure that you have answered the question
- ensure that you have used the correct genre / style
- avoid spelling mistakes (Don’t rely on spellcheckers alone. Use your dictionary as well.)
- check that your text is well organized
- Use your time wisely and pace yourself. It is expected that students should use 5 hours to complete the exam. If you finish early, go back and make sure that you have answered all of the tasks.
- Study these sites for handling footnotes and sources: Kildebruk and Kildehenvisninger and Litteraturliste
Tips and Advice
Preparing for the Written Exam will take you through the topic "social equality" in Vg1/Vg2 which was the topic given for the exam in 2010.
The short answer textKjernestoff
How to Improve Your EnglishKjernestoff
How to Search the InternetKjernestoff
How to Use, Evaluate and Cite SourcesKjernestoff
How to Use Google Docs (Free Accounts)Kjernestoff
Written Exam - PreparationKjernestoff
Introduction to Self-assessmentKjernestoff
The short answer taskKjernestoff
How to structure your textKjernestoff
A Step-by-Step Guide to Managing your TimeKjernestoff
Video: How do you manage your time?Kjernestoff
Suggested Year Plan, SFTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Suggested Year Plan, YFTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Tips for Learning EnglishKjernestoff
Oral Exam - PreparationKjernestoff
Comparing key termsKjernestoff
Interpreting short answer tasksKjernestoff
Planning your textKjernestoff
Listening activity: Conflict at workKjernestoff
Listening activity: New YorkKjernestoff
Check your understandingKjernestoff
Listening activity: Soul FoodKjernestoff
Oral Presentations - Assessment SheetKjernestoff
Written Tasks - Assessment SheetKjernestoff
Self-assessment - Basic Language SkillsKjernestoff
Self-assessment - MotivationKjernestoff
Self Assessment - Strengths and WeaknessesKjernestoff
Self-assessment - Vocabulary and GrammarKjernestoff
Strategies for ImprovementKjernestoff
Self-Assessment - GrammarTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Self Assessment - My Level of EnglishTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Self Assessment - ProjectsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff