When you hear the word "corporation", what do you think of? Does it have positive or negative associations? Companies like McDonald's, Nike and Apple are a vital part of the global economy. There are many aspects to these multinational companies, which can form the basis for an in-depth project.
Suggested competence aims from the programme for International English:
- presentere et større fordypningsarbeid med emne fra internasjonal engelsk eller et annet fag innen eget programområde og vurdere prosessen
- drøfte noen internasjonale og globale utfordringer
Suggested competence aims from the programme for Social Studies English:
presentere et større fordypningsarbeid med emne fra samfunnsfaglig engelsk og vurdere prosessen
drøfte spørsmål knyttet til sosiale og økonomiske forhold i noen engelskspråklige land
Depending on the approach you choose you will be able to include other competence aims.
Before choosing an approach to the topic, study these three videos about corporations, and discuss and answer the questions which follow.
The Corporation Part 1 - What Is a Corporation?
- Define a corporation
- What did a corporation do?
- Approximately when were the first corporations started?
- What was a chartered corporation?
- What was the role and purpose of a corporation?
The Corporation Part 2 - Advertising and Image
- What does advertising aim to do for people generally?
- What does advertising for a corporation tell us?
- What is perception management?
- What kind of image do corporations try to create for themselves?
The Corporation Part 3 - Multinationality and Power
- What did President Roosevelt try to do with respect to corporations?
- What reactions did this inspire?
- Who was involved?
- How have corporations developed today?
- How has this affected the position of governments vs. corporations
Here are a few aspects of multinational corporations. Choose your approach to the subject and make an oral or written presentation:
- Development and power
- Advertising and image
- Ethics - sweatshops, environment, corruption
Oral Presentation (video)
Multiculturalism - A Challenge?Kjernestoff
Social Media and Political ChangeKjernestoff
The Death Penalty - A Brief HistoryKjernestoff
Edward Snowdon - Hero or Traitor?Kjernestoff
Terrorism - a Violent AlternativeKjernestoff
The Right to Bear ArmsKjernestoff
Illegal Organ DonationKjernestoff
Occupy Wall StreetTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
"A Long Way Gone" Ishmael BeahTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Film: Bowling for ColumbineTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Crossing Dangerous BordersTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
GITMO - Guantanamo BayTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
AIDS in Sub-Saharan AfricaTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Mediatization and PoliticsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
List of recommended filmsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Recommended list of novelsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Multiculturalism - A Challenge - VocabularyKjernestoff
Consumerism - TasksKjernestoff
Consumerism - ProjectKjernestoff
Views on Today’s Death Penalty in the USAKjernestoff
Prefixes in Terrorism VocabularyKjernestoff
Child Soldiers – TasksKjernestoff
The Constant GardenerKjernestoff
Task - Guns and DemocracyKjernestoff
The Right to Bear Arms - TasksKjernestoff
Role-play: The Right to Bear ArmsKjernestoff
Working with International ConflictsKjernestoff
Conflicts – ProjectKjernestoff
David Cameron on MulticulturalismTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Indigenous People in Multicultural SocietiesTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Public Protest, Vocabulary - Drag and DropTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
They Said "No" - ProjectTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Where Do Racism and Prejudice Come From?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
9/11 - The Neighbor That DisappearedTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Terrorist by John UpdikeTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
22 July – Darkness at NoonTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Blood Diamond (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Aids in Sub-Saharan AfricaTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Food - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Glass Ceiling - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff