Below you can study the second video dealing with walls and a divided society in Belfast. This is about protest.
The first part of the video shows parades in Belfast e.g. the Protestant parade on 12 July to celebrate the Protestant victory at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. What do you know about such parades in Belfast?
1. Video 0 - 4:30min.
Watch the first part of the video, 0 - 4:30min.
- The speaker asks if these parades are a "celebration or provocation". What do you think? Give reasons for your answer.
- What is given as the reason for the continuation of these celebrations?
2. Video from 4:30min.
Watch the rest of the video from 4:30min and then try the tasks below.
- Who are Danny Devenny and Mark Ervine and what is their background, and what are they doing?
- Where did Devenny get his inspiration from?
- What were the murals in Belfast used for earlier, during the Troubles?
- What are Devenny and Ervine trying to do with the murals today?
- Why do you think the mural is chosen as a means of communicating a political standpoint? Do you think this is an effective means of communication?
- Compare the two means of communicating one's political point of view, parades and murals. Make a table with positive and negative aspects of both.
Design a Mural
In the classroom stretch a roll of paper on the wall and make a mural. Discuss and find a suitable topic. Choose a cause that interests you (e.g. environment, politics, local issue, school issue) and design a mural which communicates your point of view.
The Rise and Fall of the British EmpireKjernestoff
The First EmpireKjernestoff
The Second EmpireKjernestoff
The Victorian Age and the British EmpireKjernestoff
The Dismantling of the EmpireKjernestoff
The Legacy of an EmpireKjernestoff
The Falkland Islands DisputeKjernestoff
Post-War Immigration to BritainKjernestoff
Northern Ireland - Trouble and ConflictTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Fight for Women's RightsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Child migration in the CommonwealthTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The King's SpeechTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Post-War Immigration to Britain – TasksKjernestoff
Post-war Immigration ClozeKjernestoff
Post-war Immigration SynonymsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Interview about Manchester and the Industrial RevolutionTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Project Work: The Industrial RevolutionTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Northern Ireland - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
"Walls of Shame: Belfast" (video)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
In the Name of the Father (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Right to Decide – TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Add Prefix 1TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Iron LadyTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff