These tasks are based on the text Early Settlement to Civil War.
Jamestown and Plymouth
Task: Make a digital story on one of the following topics:
- The earliest English settlement was in Jamestown, Virginia in 1607. One of the settlers was Captain John Smith, whose life is said to have been saved by Pocahontas. Find out more about Smith and the other settlers in Jamestown. Why did they come? What did they do for a living?
- The first successful British colony, Plymouth, was established in Massachusetts Bay in 1620, in what is now New England. These settlers became known as the Pilgrims or the Pilgrim Fathers. Find out more about the Pilgrims. Why did they come? What did they do for a living?
- Compare the first settlers in Jamestown with the settlers in Plymouth. Similarities? Differences?
- The Pilgrims arrived on a ship called the Mayflower. Find out more about the ship and the passengers. Why do you think the Mayflower has had such a famous place in American history?
The American Revolution and the Declaration of Independence
Task: Share Information Orally
Make 7 groups of 4 and label the members a, b, c and d.
Group 1: Stamp Act 1765
Group 2: The Boston Massacre 1770
Group 3: The Boston Tea Party 1773
Group 4: The Battle of Lexington 1775
Group 5: The Declaration of Independence 1776
Group 6: The Treaty of Paris 1783
Group 7: The Founding Fathers 1787
In your groups: Find information about your topic and
- Discuss and agree on what is most important
- Prepare a presentation that can be shared with others by writing down key words. Each group member must have a copy.
Next: All a's, b's, c's and d's form new groups and share their information orally. Take notes.
Manifest Destiny and the Westward Move
Task: Mapping America
Use this digital Map Maker USA and the drawing tools to show the westward move and the new states. The map should show how new states gradually were added to the original 13 states and include the year of acceptance. Use the links at the bottom for more information.
The Civil War
Task: Write a personal letter from the point of view of one of the participants in the Civil War:
- A Confederate Soldier
- A Union Soldier
- Abraham Lincoln
- General Robert E. Lee
- General Ulysses S. Grant
Early Settlement to Civil WarKjernestoff
Waves of ImmigrationKjernestoff
Reconstruction to World War IIKjernestoff
The Cold War Era – A Precarious PeaceKjernestoff
The Fifties and the SixtiesKjernestoff
The Civil Rights MovementKjernestoff
The Cuban Missile CrisisKjernestoff
The Seventies and the EightiesKjernestoff
Into a New MilleniumKjernestoff
The impact of 9/11Kjernestoff
Film: 12 Years a SlaveKjernestoff
Easy text: African Americans - from Slavery to Civil RightsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
From Slavery To Civil RightsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Malcolm X: "Who Taught You to Hate Yourself?"TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Strange Fruit (song)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Help (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Cuban-American RelationshipTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
American Presidents and the Art of RhetoricTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Famous quotes by American PresidentsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Forrest Gump - RevisitedTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Challenges for the US in the 21st CenturyTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Early Settlement - Comprehension quizKjernestoff
Early Settlement - VocabularyKjernestoff
Task - Waves of ImmigrationKjernestoff
Reconstruction to World War II – TasksKjernestoff
Cold War JargonKjernestoff
The Fifties and SixtiesKjernestoff
Vocabulary - Civil RightsKjernestoff
Vocabulary 2 - Civil RightsKjernestoff
Lincoln - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
African Americans - from Slavery to the Present, Text in BriefTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Interview: Philadelphia and US HistoryTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Rosa Parks - a Voice HeardTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Historical Names and Events in The HelpTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Mississippi Burning - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Cuba - USA, True or False?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Perform Like the Best - Obama and Martin Luther KingTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Challenges for the US in the 21st Century – TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Challenges for the USATilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff