"12 Years a Slave" narrates the story of Solomon Northup who was born as a free man in New York. In 1841, he is tricked into a fatal trap and is abducted and sold into slavery. The film is based on a true story and portrays the cruelties of oppression.
Watch the Entire Movie (2hrs 8min.)
Discussion questions and/or Writing Tasks:
- Choose a scene from the film that has left an impact on you and describe it in detail. In what way is this an important scene in the film as a whole?
- Choose one of the historical events mentioned in the article "From Slavery to Civil Rights" and explain how it is portrayed in the film.
- First give a good definition of "racism" and then give examples of how the use of language and particular words and phases in this film, express racist attitudes?
- The film has been criticized for its focus on showing detailed scenes of violence like flogging, hanging and rape. What might be the reasons for the director and script writer to dwell on all the brutality? And do you personally think the amount of violent scenes is justifiable or just too much?
- In a film review in the newspaper "The Guardian" a critic writes about the film: "(Director) McQueen's bold challenge to the continuing enslavement of people for profit allows no happy ending because slavery and unfree labour are still far from over." Comment on this quotation and link "12 Years a Slave" to current issues or events in our modern world.
Early Settlement to Civil WarKjernestoff
Waves of ImmigrationKjernestoff
Reconstruction to World War IIKjernestoff
The Cold War Era – A Precarious PeaceKjernestoff
The Fifties and the SixtiesKjernestoff
The Civil Rights MovementKjernestoff
The Cuban Missile CrisisKjernestoff
The Seventies and the EightiesKjernestoff
Into a New MilleniumKjernestoff
The impact of 9/11Kjernestoff
Easy text: African Americans - from Slavery to Civil RightsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
From Slavery To Civil RightsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Malcolm X: "Who Taught You to Hate Yourself?"TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Strange Fruit (song)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Help (film)TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
The Cuban-American RelationshipTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
American Presidents and the Art of RhetoricTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Famous quotes by American PresidentsTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Forrest Gump - RevisitedTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Challenges for the US in the 21st CenturyTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Early Settlement to Civil War - TasksKjernestoff
Early Settlement - Comprehension quizKjernestoff
Early Settlement - VocabularyKjernestoff
Task - Waves of ImmigrationKjernestoff
Reconstruction to World War II – TasksKjernestoff
Cold War JargonKjernestoff
The Fifties and SixtiesKjernestoff
Vocabulary - Civil RightsKjernestoff
Vocabulary 2 - Civil RightsKjernestoff
Lincoln - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
African Americans - from Slavery to the Present, Text in BriefTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Interview: Philadelphia and US HistoryTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Rosa Parks - a Voice HeardTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Historical Names and Events in The HelpTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Mississippi Burning - TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Cuba - USA, True or False?TilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Perform Like the Best - Obama and Martin Luther KingTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Challenges for the US in the 21st Century – TasksTilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff
Challenges for the USATilleggsstoffTilleggsstoff