Full text of the novel: Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Chapters 1-V Read More
- When and where does the story take place?
- Who is the narrator in this chapter?
- What is Lockwood’s impression of his landlord, Heathcliff?
- How is Lockwood treated on his first visit?
- Why is Heathcliff’s dwelling called Wuthering Heights?
- What was written over the door at Wuthering Heights?
- How does Heathcliff contrast to his surroundings?
- How is Lockwood treated on his second visit?
- On perceiving the young missus, who does Lockwood think she is? What is strange about the young woman's behavior and attitude?
- Why is there doubt whether the young man is a servant or not.
- Heathcliff balks at Lockwood calling Cathy his “amiable lady”. What mistake does Lockwood make as to who was who?
- What does Cathy do when Joseph mentions her mother?
- How do we know that both Cathy and Hareton are controlled by Heathcliff?
- What made Lockwood take the lantern?
- Into whose room does Zillah, the housemaid, show Lockwood ? What was written on the candle ledge inside the little closet?
- What do we discover through Catherine Earnshaw’s diary? What is suggested regarding Heathcliff’s past?
- What do Catherine and Heathcliff do with the books Joseph forces them to read?
- Lockwood has a supernatural experience while reading the sermon, ‘ Seventy Times Seven, and the First of the Seventy-First.’ A Pious Discourse delivered by the Reverend Jabes Branderham, in the Chapel of Gimmerden Sough.’ What was it? What made him scream?
- How does Lockwood respond to the apparition?
- What does Heathcliff proceed to do? Describe his anguish.
- What is Ellen Dean’s role in this chapter? How long had she been living in the area?
- What was Heathcliff ‘s reason for living at Wuthering Heights and not Thrushcross Grange?
- Explain who’s who in this chapter.
- What happened to Hareton Earnshaw’s inheritance?
- How did Ellen Dean come to Wuthering Heights?
- What did the older Mr Earnshaw bring back on his return from Liverpool? How old were Cathy and Hindley at the time?
- How did the children and servants behave towards the little boy?
- Why was he named Heathcliff?
- Describe Heathcliff as a child. What makes Nelly Dean change her feelings towards him?
- Why does Hindley regard his father as an oppressor and Heathcliff as a usurper?
- How did Heathcliff persuade Hindley to exchange colts with him?
- How does Mr Earnshaw behave during his illness? Why was this a "disadvantage" to Heathcliff?
- How did Joseph gain control over the children?
- Describe Catherine Earnshaw as a child.
- Why did Catherine like to provoke her father?
- What is Catherine’s comment when Earnshaw asks,‘Why canst thou not always be a good lass, Cathy?’
Chapters VI-X Read More
- Whom did Hindley bring with him to Mr Earnshaw's funeral?
- What hint is there that Hindley's wife may have consumption?
- How had Hindley changed during his absence of three years from Wuthering Heights?
- What made Hindley become so tyrannical? How did he take his anger out on Heathcliff?
- Why was Heathcliff able to bear his degradation?
- What methods of discipline were used on Catherine and Heathcliff?
- Heathcliff and Catherine run off to spy on the Lintons at Thrushcross Grange. What caused Catherine to remain there?
- What were the Linton children up to when Catherine and Heathcliff were spying on them?
- Why was it hard for them to believe that the little girl was Catherine Earnshaw? How do they end up treating Catherine?
- How had Catherine changed during her stay at Thrushcross Grange?
- What was Catherine’s impression of Heathcliff after not seeing him for five weeks?
- How does Heathcliff react to Catherine’s goading?
- What causes Nelly to cry?
- What did Heathcliff wish for regarding his appearance?
- What story does Nelly make up regarding Heathcliff's origins?
- How does Hindley treat Heathcliff when he attempts to join the young people at the Christmas party?
- Why did Heathcliff throw a tureen of hot apple sauce at Master Linton?
- How does Catherine show remorse for her seemingly selfish behavior?
- How does Heathcliff plan to take revenge?
- Why is Nelly different from the other servants or those of her state in life?
- How far has Nelly come in her story telling?
- What tragic event takes place in June 1778?
- How does Hindley cope with the loss of Frances?
- Describe Hindley’s deterioration. How is this demonstrated in his behavior towards Catherine and Heathcliff? How old is Catherine at this time?
- Catherine behaves differently when the Lintons come to visit. How?
- Why was it difficult for Catherine to keep the admiration of both Heathcliff and Linton?
- How had Heathcliff changed by the time he was 16?
- What takes place while Hindley is away?
- How do Heathcliff and Linton differ from one another?
- What sides to Catherine’s fiery temperament are demonstrated during Linton’s visit?
- How does Linton show his weakness?
- What was the outcome of the quarrel?
- How does Hindley's alcoholism affect those around him?
- How is Heathcliff’s plan of revenge on Hindley thwarted?
- In what ways does Nelly demonstrate insight into human behavior and psychology?
- How do Catherine’s reasons for marriage differ from Nelly’s?
- Why is Catherine convinced that she is wrong in marrying Edgar Linton?
- Describe Catherine's dream?
- How much had Heathcliff overheard?
- What did Catherine think she could accomplish by marrying Linton?
- How does Catherine's love for Linton and Heathcliff differ?
- How does Catherine react to Heathcliff's leaving?
- What befalls the Lintons shortly after caring for Catherine at Thrushcross Grange?
- Why did the doctor say Catherine should have her way?
- Why does Nelly end up going to Thrushcross Grange? How old is Hareton when she leaves?
- How does Mr Lockwood spend his time during his four weeks of illness?
- What was married life like at Thrushcross Grange for Catherine and Edgar Linton?
- Who must Nelly say is calling for Catherine? Why don't they sit in the kitchen?
- What is Edgar’s reaction to Heathcliff’s return? What does Catherine attempt to do?
- Describe the transformation that had taken place in Heathcliff's appearance? How long had he been gone?
- How does Edgar behave towards Heathcliff?
- Why had Heathcliff returned?
- What does Heathcliff find on returning to Wuthering Heights?
- Why does Edgar Linton fear for his sister’s attraction to Heathcliff?
- Why does Isabella think Catherine is monopolizing Heathcliff's attention?
- How does Catherine’s interpretation of Heathcliff's personality differ from Isabella’s interpretation?
- What torments does Isabella suffer in front of Heathcliff at the hands of Catherine?
- What does Heathcliff really think of Isabella? Why? How old is she at this time?
Chapters XI-XV Read More
- Who is the “I” narrator in Chapter XI?
- Whose image does she believes she sees?
- How had Hareton changed within the ten months since they had last seen each other? By whose influence has this taken place?
- Why can't Hareton's father, Hindley, stand his own son?
- How is Nelly able to announce her arrival at Wuthering Heights?
- Why does Nelly call Heathcliff a hypocrite?
- What revenge does Heathcliff plan because Catherine has treated him “infernally”? What does Catherine think of his plan?
- How does the strain between Catherine, Edgar and Heathcliff finally erupt into violence?
- Describe Catherine’s physical reaction to the violence? What does Edgar want of her?
- What is Nelly’s Dean’s role here?
- What does Edgar threaten Isabella with?
- Why doesn't Nelly inform her master of Catherine’s condition?
- What does Nelly say that Edgar is preoccupied with?
- What finally convinces Nelly that something is really wrong with Catherine?
- How does Catherine demonstrate her insanity?
- What induces Nelly to finally tell Edgar of Catherine’s condition?
- What do both Edgar and Catherine blame Ellen for in this chapter? What does she say in her defense?
- In what condition does Nelly find Isabella’s dog, Fanny?
- What did Dr Kenneth observe with regards to Isabella and Heathcliff?
- Where had Isabella gone? What is Edgar’s response to this?
- How long were Isabella and Heathcliff gone?
- What was Catherine diagnosed as having?
- How do we know that Catherine was also pregnant?
- What did Isabella write to Edgar?
- What shocking news did Isabella write in her letter to Nelly?
- Why does Earnshaw protect himself with a pistol and a double-edged spring knife?
- Why won’t Edgar leave Wuthering Heights?
- How do Hareton and Joseph treat Isabella on her arrival?
- How does Heathcliff’s hatred of Isabella manifest itself?
- What is Edgar's response to Isabella's letter?
- How does the state of Wuthering Heights affect Isabella’s spirit?
- What message was Nelly forced to give to Isabella from her brother?
- How has Catherine changed from what she once was?
- What lengths does Heathcliff go to in order to see Catherine again?
- How does Heathcliff know that Catherine has not forgotten him?
- Explain Heathcliff’s expression of love for Catherine.
- What sides of Heathcliff’s true self are revealed to Isabella?
- Why won't Isabella leave Heathcliff?
- What does Heathcliff claim is actually wrong with Catherine?
- What does Heathcliff force Nelly to do?
- Why did it take Nelly three days to give Heathcliff’s letter to Catherine?
- In what ways had Catherine changed?
- What is their reunion like?
- What prevents Edgar from attacking Heathcliff when Edgar enters the room and finds his unconscious wife?
Chapters XVI-XX Read More
- How premature was Catherine’s baby?
- Why was the birth of his daughter, Cathy, not a joyous occasion for Edgar Linton?
- Why does Nelly think that Edgar’s love is selfish?
- How does Heathcliff react to Catherine’s death?
- What does Heathcliff do with the locket of hair hanging around Catherine’s neck?
- Where was Catherine buried?
- Who cares for baby Cathy?
- What is Isabella’s plan of escape?
- What does she do with Heathcliff's ring?
- What does Isabella feel towards Heathcliff? How does she describe him?
- Why was Isabella forced to flee?
- Why did Isabella stop Hindley Earnshaw from killing Heathcliff?
- What does Heathcliff do to Hindley?
- What does Isabella say to Heathcliff that rouses him to abnormal fury?
- How does Isabella finally escape?
- What takes place a few months after Isabella’s flight from Wuthering Heights?
- At what age does Hindley Earnshaw die? What happens to Hareton and his property after Hindley’s death?
- How many years had passed since Catherine Linton died and Isabella escaped?
- What was Catherine's little girl, Cathy, like?
- How was she educated?
- Why did they hide Wuthering Heights and Penistone Craig from her?
- When does Isabella die?
- What did Isabella wish for her son, Linton?
- What does Cathy do while Edgar is away for three weeks?
- How old are Cathy and Hareton when they meet for the first time?
- What had happened to Cathy’s dogs?
- Who does she think Hareton's father is?
- Why is Cathy so shocked to hear that Hareton is her cousin?
- How had Heathcliff and Joseph been treating him?
- Why had Cathy and Nelly kept quiet about where they had been?
- What announced Edgar’s return from Isabella’s funeral?
- Whom did Edgar bring home with him after Isabella's death? How old was he?
- What is Linton like?
- Why are Nelly and Edgar so worried about Linton?
- Who comes to fetch Linton at Thrushcross Grange?
- What message did Edgar relay to Heathcliff?
- Why does Edgar deliver the boy, Linton, to Heathcliff early the following morning after his arrival?
- Why doesn't Edgar tell Cathy where Linton has been taken?
- Why doesn't Linton know anything about his real father?
- What lies must Nelly tell Linton to get him to go?
- How does she describe Heathcliff to him?
- What does Heathcliff make of his own son?
- What reason does Heathcliff give for forcing Linton to live with him?
Chapters XXI-XXV Read More
- What news does Nelly gather from Heathcliff’s housekeeper regarding Heathcliff’s treatment and feelings for Linton?
- How does Linton’s health and deranged personality affect those around him?
- How did Cathy spend her sixteenth birthday?
- How does Heathcliff trick Cathy into coming to Wuthering Heights? What is his plan?
- How do Cathy and Linton differ from one another physically?
- What are Heathcliff’s reasons for not coming to visit them at Thrushcross Grange.
- What are Heathcliff’s and Hareton’s feelings towards each other?
- Why has Heathcliff kept Hareton illiterate and ignorant while hiring a tutor for Linton?
- How does Edgar behave when Cathy finally divulges where she has been
- Why doesn't Edgar really tell Cathy what Heathcliff is like?
- How is Cathy able to communicate with Linton?
- What did Nelly discover after she had gone searching in Cathy's drawer?
- What did Nelly threaten Cathy with?
- How does Edgar’s ailing physical condition affect Cathy?
- What consolation does Nelly give her?
- When Cathy meets Heathcliff on the ramparts, what means does he use to cajole Cathy into visiting her cousin, Linton, at Wuthering Heights?
- What lie does Nelly accuse Heathcliff of?
- Why does Nelly finally give in to Cathy’s wishes?
- How does Linton greet Cathy when she and Nelly come to visit him at Wuthering Heights?
- Why does Linton hate everyone at Wuthering Heights?
- What reason does Heathcliff give Linton for Cathy’s absence?
- Why do Linton and Cathy begin to quarrel?
- What do we make of Linton’s real character?
- How does Linton play on Cathy's sympathies?
- What does Nelly think of Linton?
- What evidence is there that Cathy has a good heart?
- How do we know that Cathy is sneaking off to visit Linton at Wuthering Heights?
- What did she do to bribe the stable boy to saddle her pony?
- How do Linton’s and Cathy’s ideas of spending an afternoon differ?
- What did Cathy do to charm Linton when they were together?
- In what ways does Cathy demonstrate cruelty to Hareton? What does Nelly say to her behavior?
- What does Hareton do to take revenge? How does this lead to a violent scene?
- How does Linton manipulate Cathy into returning?
- How does Heathcliff abuse Linton?
- How does Edgar take the news regarding Cathy's feelings for Linton?
- How long ago did the preceding events happen?
- What did Nelly say when he asked if Linton had changed for the better?
- What concerns does Edgar have for Cathy’s well-being after his death?
- What reason does Linton give for not coming to see his uncle?
- How does Heathcliff manipulate Cathy through Linton's letters?
- What economic factors finally made Edgar concede to Cathy meeting Linton?
- Why didn't Nelly really understand Linton's failing health nor what Heathcliff was actually doing to him?
Chapters XXVI-XXX Read More
- Which demand made by his uncle had Linton forgotten?
- What state was Linton in when Cathy meets him on the noors?
- When Linton does not respond to her, what does Cathy think is the reason?
- What does he blame for his lethargy?
- Why do you think Linton clings so to Cathy?
- Why doesn't Cathy want to ride to see Linton as she promised?
- Why did Edgar encourage Cathy to visit Linton?
- Why didn't Nelly tell Edgar the truth?
- Why won't Linton be honest with Cathy?
- What is the reason for Linton’s violent show of emotions?
- Why does Heathcliff ask Nelly how long Edgar has to live?
- Describe Heathcliff’s treatment of Linton in this chapter.
- Why does Linton call himself a traitor?
- How does Heathcliff persuade Cathy into disobeying her father?
- What takes place at Wuthering Heights?
- How does Linton behave towards Cathy after Heathcliff strikes her?
- In what ways does Heathcliff demonstrate pure evil and heartlessness?
- What must Cathy do to get out before her father dies?
- How long does Nelly stay imprisoned at Wuthering Heights?
- What did the people of Gimmerton think happened to Cathy and Nelly?
- What is Heathcliff’s version as to what happened to Cathy and Nelly?
- What advice does Heathcliff give Linton?
- What does Nelly say to remind Linton of Cathy’s kindness?
- Give examples of Linton's true nature.
- How does Heathcliff cheat Linton out of being master of Thrushcross Grange?
- Whose pictures were inside Cathy’s locket?
- What does Linton do when Heathcliff strikes Cathy?
- What lies does Nelly tell Edgar on her return to Thrushcross Grange?
- What is Edgar correct in assuming?
- How would Edgar secure Cathy’s fortune? Why didn’t this come to pass?
- Why hadn’t the Grange men been able to rescue Cathy?
- What takes place after Edgar dies?
- What made Linton finally give Cathy the key?
- What would have been the best destiny for Cathy?
- How does Heathcliff enter Thrushcross Grange? Why had he come?
- How does Linton behave without Cathy?
- What are Heathcliff’s plans for the future of Thrushcross Grange?
- How does Cathy rise above Linton’s bad nature and Heathcliff’s lack of love?
- Which painting does Heathcliff take with him?
- When did Heathcliff have the sexton open Catherine’s grave? Why does Heathcliff feel tranquil afterwards?
- What does Heathcliff feel about ghosts? What apparition appears to him?
- How does Heathcliff isolate Cathy?
- Where in time has Nelly reached in her narrative?
- Who tells Nelly of what is happening at Wuthering Heights?
- Why don't the servants like Cathy at Wuthering Heights?
- What does Heathcliff do when Cathy asks him to send for a doctor to help Linton?
- Compare Zillah and Nelly.
- How does Catherine respond to Linton’s death?
- What had Heathcliff forced Linton to do with regards to his will?
- What steps does Hareton take to get closer to Cathy?
- What is Cathy's response to Hareton’s and Zillah's attempts at civility?
- How does Cathy react when Hareton tries to stroke her curls?
- How had Hareton changed?
- How does Heathcliff’s treatment of Cathy affect her?
Chapters XXXI-XXXIV Read More
- How does Lockwood describe Hareton Earnshaw?
- Describe Cathy's change.
- What takes place when Lockwood tries to give Cathy the letter?
- How does Hareton react to Cathy’s tears?
- What do the books in Hareton’s room demonstrate?
- Why is Cathy so cruel towards Hareton?
- Why does Lockwood take Hareton’s side?
- What does Cathy say in her defense?
- How does Hareton respond to Cathy's outbursts and chiding?
- Where is Lockwood going?
- Where is Lockwood at the beginning of the chapter? What year is it?
- Where does Lockwood go on impulse?
- What signals changes taking place at Wuthering Heights?
- What does Lockwood observe inside the great estate at Wuthering Heights?
- What does Joseph make of the changes?
- Why did Heathcliff ask Nelly to come to Wuthering Heights?
- Who is now taking care of business at Thrushcross Grange and Wuthering Heights?
- Through whose narrative do we hear of Heathcliff’s death?
- When and how did Heathcliff die?
- Why had Cathy changed her behavior towards Hareton?
- How did she go about making up for the cruelty she had bestowed on him?
- What accident befell Hareton?
- How does Cathy finally gain Hareton's favor?
- How does Joseph respond to this new state of affairs?
- What had Cathy and Hareton done in the morning of the following Monday?
- Why was Joseph so angered?
- How do Cathy and Hareton provoke Heathcliff?
- What do we notice in Cathy’s defiance which angers Heathcliff? Why?
- What does Joseph accuse Cathy of?
- How does Cathy make Hareton her ally?
- What stops Heathcliff from beating her?
- Why won't Hareton listen to how Heathcliff treated his real father?
- Why had Heathcliff lost his motivation for destruction and brutality?
- What change does Heathcliff think is coming?
- Describe Heathcliff's erratic behavior before his death.
- What are Nelly’s thoughts regarding Heathcliff at this point?
- Where does Heathcliff die? What did he look like when Nelly found him?
- Where did he want to be buried?
- How does Hareton respond to Heathcliff's death?
- What do the country folk say?
- What will happen to Cathy and Hareton?
- Describe the graves that Lockwood comes upon.