This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a musician in England.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: music production agency; TV commercial; lack of ego; advertising company; briefs
Listen to the following interview with a musician in the UK and find out:
- Where he works. (type of company - large/small or self employed).
- Why he chose this profession.
- What type of tasks he has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities he suggests are needed by a musician.
- Does he describe any work processes or services that he provides?
- What he likes best and least about his job.
- How he thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where he sees himself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- Simon calls Angela. He asks her if she can assist him on the soundtrack.
- The deadline for the soundtrack is the next day. Simon does not make it, and has to call Richard about it.
- The advertising company rejects Simon's work. Richard has to bring him the bad news.
- Simon does not quite understand what the director of the commercial wants from him. He has to talk to the director in person to get some more information.