This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a sales assistant in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: commission; engagement ring; items; browse; employee; merchandising
Listen to the following interview with a sales assistant in the UK
and find out:
- Where she works (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK she works.
- Why she chose this profession.
- What type of tasks she has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities she suggests are needed by a sales assistant.
- Does she describe any work processes or services that she provides?
- What she likes best and least about her job.
- How she thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where she sees herself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- The customer does not like what the sales assistant is suggesting, and is very rude.
- The customer disagrees politely with the sales assistant's choice and says that he would prefer a more unusual ring. She suggests something.
- The customer wants to buy a bracelet for his girlfriend.
- The customer brings back the engagement ring. It was too big and needs resizing.
- The customer's girlfriend wants the in-house jeweler to add one more diamond in her engagement ring.