This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a car mechanic in the UK.
Before listening, use the dictionary to check that you know the meaning of the following words: maintenance, break down, recommend, independent, honesty, the public, reputation, vehicle, manufacturer, schedule, baffle, dealer, warranty, wiring diagram, landlord, property, overheads, retire
YTS = Youth Training Scheme
MOT is used for the Ministry of Transport (now Department of Transport) test which is required annually on all cars over 3 years old to check that vehicles meet road safety and environmental standards.
Listen to the following interview with a car mechanic in the UK and find out:
- Where he works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK he works.
- Why he chose this profession.
- What type of tasks he has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities he suggests are needed by a car mechanic
- Does he describe any work processes or services that he provides?
- What he likes best and least about his job.
- How he thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where he sees himself in 5 - 10 years' time.
After you have practised, add more dialogue for some of the following situations:
- The mechanic finds that the brake pads have to be changed.
- You would like the mechanic to check the oil. He finds it needs to be topped up.
- Ask what the mechanic will check when the car has an MOT.