This interview will give you an idea of what it is like to work as a carpenter in the UK.
Before listening, check that you know the meaning of the following words: trade, plumber, plasterer, to be fit, to be keen, wardrobe, cupboard, timber, satisfaction, bloke, chisel and employee.
The term listed building refers to a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance. (Wikipedia) A Grade 1 listed building is of exceptional interest.
Listen to the following interview with a carpenter in the UK and find out:
- Where he works. (type of company - large/small, etc)
- Where about in the UK he works.
- Why he chose this profession.
- What type of tasks he has to do on a typical day at work.
- What personal qualities he suggests are needed by a carpenter.
- Does he describe any work processes or services that he provides?
- What he likes best and least about his job.
- How he thinks this line of work will change in the future.
- Where he sees himself in 5 - 10 years' time.