What do you think makes a good school?
All children in the United Kingdom, between the ages of 5 and 16, are required by law to receive full-time education. The school systems in Scotland and Northern Ireland are a little different from the system in England and Wales, which is described here.
State Schools and Independent Schools
More than 90% are educated in co-educational state schools. The remaining 10% attend independent schools where their education is paid for by their parents. These are private schools which get no money from the government.
From 5 to 18
Children start primary school when they are
5 years old and continue until they are 11. Then, after 5 years at secondary school, when they are 16, they take the examination, the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE). After this, education is no longer compulsory.
Students can continue in full-time education at a sixth form college or in the sixth form of a secondary school. There they will study for examinations leading to university entrance qualifications. These are the AS levels (Advanced Supplementary), which take 1 year and the A levels (Advanced), which usually take 2 years.
- compulsory = obligatorisk
- university entrance qualifications
|Age||Year||State System (90% of pupils)||Private System (10% of pupils)||Exams|
|Sixth Form College||Tertiary College|| |
(Starts at 11 or 13)
Various Vocational qualifications
Pupils, who want a more practical education, can choose to study at a tertiary or further education college. There they can choose between different vocational qualifications which prepare them for work.
Nearly a third of all young people now enter higher education at a university or other educational institution.
- tertiary = tertiær, på tredje nivå
- further = videre/vidare
- vocational = yrkesfaglig/yrkesfagleg
What Pupils Study
The National Curriculum determines what pupils study. The core subjects are English (and Welsh, in Wales), mathematics, science, technology, physical education (PE), and religious education. History, geography, art and music are also compulsory subjects in the earlier years of school. A modern foreign language and a new subject, ‘citizenship’, are added to the curriculum at age 11. At age 14, history, geography, art and music become optional. Other subjects, such as drama, dance, and classical languages can be taught, depending on the resources of each school.
- curriculum = læreplan
- determines = bestemmer
- core = kjerne
- foreign = fremmed/framand
- optional = valgfritt/valfritt
Tasks and Activities
Try the multiple-choice interactive task UK - Education (Easy), Comprehension, Multiple choice.
Copy the text into your text editor and then put the following words into the correct place in the text
Co-educational, physical, secondary, compulsory, vocational, core, optional, science, primary,subject
In the UK, children start ____________ school when they are 5 years old and then go on to _____________ school at 11. State schools are _______________ with boys and girls going to the same school. Education is _____________ until a pupil is 16 years old and they have to study the __________ subjects such as mathematics and English. _____________ and ___________ education are also core ____________, but art is an _________________ subject after age 14. Pupils who do not want to go to university often take a ____________ qualification which is a more practical education.
Learning Strategies: How to organise your thoughts using private schools in the UK as a starting pointCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
UK Parliament and GovernmentCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
Easy Text - UK Parliament and GovernmentCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
EducationCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
Easy Text - EducationCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
The School Systems in Norway, the United States and EnglandCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
English Public SchoolsCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
Short Story: Next Term We'll Mash YouCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
Task UK GovernmentCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
Task - UK EducationCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
English Public Schools - InterviewCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum
Task: Next Term We'll Mash YouCore content is a subject that is on the curriculum