Racism and Film
Choose an American film aimed at young people and examine attitudes involving race, ethnicity and gender.
Do you have a favorite among American films? If not, you may use some of the suggestions below:
- The Hunger Games
- Save the Last Dance
- Nancy Drew
- Captain America
- Pirates of the Caribbean
Make a Presentation
- Examine the film of your choice closely to find examples of
stereotyping and prejudice.
- Analyze "your" film by focusing on the attitudes revealed regarding differences in attitudes to:
jobs, sex, the opposite sex, interests, education, how they demonstrate feelings, strengths, how they communicate, what they talk about, formal positions as leaders or workers
- Comment on:
- Gender roles
- Ethnic groups
- Religious groups
- How do the unpopular characters differ from the popular ones?
- Does this film contribute to prejudice? If so, how?
- Does this film contribute to diminish prejudice? Is so, how?
- Relate what you have found out about "your" film to issues you have learned are important when it comes to racism.
- How and why your characters are prejudiced.