Cottage Pie with a Twist
Britain has become a multicultural society and this has also influenced traditional recipes and introduced new dishes to the British menu. Today, curry is considered to be Britain’s national dish! Which cultures do you think have influenced British food and traditions in the last 50 years? If you are not sure, check UK - Immigration at the link below for some ideas.
Watch the video and then do the tasks which follow.
Answer the multiple choice questions below.
In the video, Levi Roots is making dinner for his friends on St. George’s Day – the most English of all days.
- Who was St George?
- Why do they celebrate St George’s Day in England?
- What does the white flag with a red cross on it have to do with:
- St George?
- Why does Levi say that his friends are “expecting a feast fit for dragon slayers”?
- Has some traditional Norwegian food been given a new "twist" from other cultures? Can you find some examples?
- Choose a traditional Norwegian dish, for example, "kjøttkakaker", and discuss how you would give it a new "twist".
After the discussion above, write out the recipe for the traditional Norwegian dish with the new "twist" you have added to it.
Write out the recipe for Levi's Cottage Pie in Norwegian.
- English subject curriculum
- understand and use a wide general vocabulary and an academic vocabulary related to his/her own education programme
- understand the main content and details of different types of oral texts about general and academic topics related to one’s education programme
- discuss and elaborate on culture and social conditions in several English-speaking countries