Fairytale in New York - Lesson Plan
- Language level: Intermediate (B1) +
- Learner type: Mature teens; Adults
- Time: 60 minutes
- Activity: Interactive storytelling
- Topic: Homelessness at Christmas
- Language: Remember + -ing * Materials: Song
Fairytale of New York tells the story of the downfall of a young Irish couple who emigrate to New York in search of better things. Their dreams are ruined by alcoholism, substance abuse and homelessness. In this activity, the teacher delivers the story before letting students hear the song. The storytelling process should not be thought of as a teacher presentation, but more as a whole-class communicative event.