Chapter 7 - The Age of the Dictionary
Published: 06.12.2011, Updated: 04.03.2017
The History of English in 10 minutes - Chapter 7 (OU)
- What is a lexicographer?
- Who was one of the first compilers of a dictionary and how many years did it take him to finish it?
- How many entries did it have?
- What was standardised in the dictionaries? Why was that necessary?
- Which modern dictionary is mentioned and when did it first appear?
- How many entries do you think the Oxford English Dictionary has today? Fun Language Facts
- Do you know what the following words mean?
- What makes it necessary to continually revise dictionaries?
Suggested Further Reading
- English subject curriculum