Saint Vincent - Paradise with Good and Bad
Pre-reading: Locate Saint Vincent (St. Vincent) on a map and then do a picture search using search engines like Google. What are your impressions of the country from these pictures?
Tasks and Activities
- After listening to the interview, do you feel like visiting Saint Vincent?
- How does Saint Vincent's culture compare to the culture(s) in your country?
- Would you have liked to grow up on Saint Vincent? Why, why not. Base your discussion on what Tony reveals about his upbringing.
- Saint Vincent is a tropical island. Discuss in pairs what you associate with tropical island and note down ten keywords from your discussion. Do you feel your keywords reflect a true image of Saint Vincent or more of a dream world. If so, why is this?
Choose 3 islands in the Grenadines. Saint Vincent should be one of them. Make a journey where you visit attractions that are important for the various islands' cultural identity. Give reasons for your choice.
2. Guide for Saint Vincent
This site gives information about culture, language, etiquette rules, etc. that apply for the Bahamas: . Use the information in the interview and search the internet for further information to create a similar guide for Saint Vincent.
3. Culture and Language
Use the websites listed above and find out:
- about the origin of the Black Caribs/Afro-Caribbeans in the Grenadines, Jamaica and the Bahamas
- about how they blended in with the local population
- about the impact on the culture and history of the islands
- about the development of various Afro-Caribbean English accents
Recommended Film and Novel
Amistad (1997, directed by Steven Spielberg)
The Book of Negroes/Someone Knows My Name (Lawrence Hill)
Nodes which use this node
- ENGLISH – PROGRAMME SUBJECT IN PROGRAMMES FOR SPECIALIZATION IN GENERAL STUDIES