How Has Technology Affected the Riots in England?
Published: 21.09.2011, Updated: 17.03.2014
BBC Video (10 minutes).
Spencer Kelly examines whether BlackBerry Messenger, Twitter and Facebook can be blamed for the riots in England (2011) and if it would be possible to reduce access to these media during riots.
- Why was BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) the major medium used by participants in the riots in England?
- How is BBM different from Twitter and Facebook?
- In the aftermath of the English riots, the government is considering whether to turn off text messaging and social networks such as Twitter during disturbances.
- Do you think it is right to do so?
- Do you think it is possible to do so?