Study 'Englishman in New York'
Study “Englishman in New York” by Sting. Listen to the words and the atmosphere of the song. Then study the actual lyrics here and listen to it once again.
Translate the following words into Norwegian
- Where is Fifth Avenue and how would you characterize it?
- Explain the difference between
- An alien
- An illegal alien
- A legal alien
- Discuss and interpret the following phrases:
- “If, "Manners maketh man" as someone said, then he's the hero of the day”
- “It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile”
- “Be yourself no matter what they say”. Who are "they"?
- “Modesty, propriety can lead to notoriety”
- “Gentleness, sobriety are rare in this society”
- “At night a candle's brighter than the sun”
Make a table with two columns. Use the USA as a heading for one column and the UK as a heading for the other. List all of the words/phrases you associate with each country or culture in the appropriate column.