Bollywood provides audiences with melodrama, action and glamour - Indian-style.
Films are made all over India, in all about a thousand a year, but Bollywood dominates the industry. The name is a cross between Bombay (now Mumbai) and Hollywood. Mostly Hindi-speaking, Bollywood films are enormously popular not only throughout India but in many regions of the world. The West has also started to discover Bollywood, and some films, such as Dhoom 2, Devdas and Om Shanti Om have done well in America and Europe.
What is a Bollywood movie? If you think of a showy, three-hour-long feature film with strong emotions, impossible love, action and comedy mixed with energetic song-and-dance numbers, you are on the right track.
Tasks and Activities
- Bollywood is one segment of Indian cinema, producing around 200 films a year. How many films are made in India in total?
- Where does the name Bollywood come from?
- What language is spoken in Bollywood movies?
- Describe the “typical” Bollywood movie.
- Name at least one reason why Bollywood movies contain so much plot.
- How is Bollywood changing?
Make a Bollywood - Classroom Billboard.
Choose a Bollywood star and make a mini presentation: Bollywood - Minitalk.
Write a dialogue, and act it out: Bollywood - Film Dialogue.
Bollywood is taking after Hollywood in many ways. There is also an increasing number of stars with lighter skin and eyes. Can you think up any arguments against this trend? Write your ideas under the heading "Keep Indian Films Indian".
Nodes which use this node
- English subject curriculum